PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FLYBE in to the black,but at what cost !!
Old 17th May 2003, 06:13
Raw Data

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see the flybe bashing machine is at it again!

The truth is somewhat different to a lot of what is written above.

There is no intention to go all turboprop- that urban myth has been doing the rounds for ages. If you think about it, there is no way that could happen- it would mean, at the very least, the loss of all the Air France routes. Also, many routes are more often than not sustaining more than 90 pax per rotation- hard to do that in a Q400 without installing roof straps.

Many different airlines have different rates for 737 drivers, so the idea that aircraft selection is based on pilot salaries- laughable anyway- doesn't fly.

The Q400 is directly comparable with some other types, for example ATR72, Saab 2000, ATP. Well, maybe the ATP is in a class of it's own!

As for the MD hating flight deck- complete cobblers. I'm flight deck, have had several meetings with him, and have found him unfailingly attentive, pro-active and considerate of the needs of pilots- as he in fact is towards all the employees. I have always had prompt replies to emails I have sent him, for example.

What many people seem to forget is that he is trying to run a business. There has been no money for pay rises for some time- there is no point asking for a pay rise if the money isn't there for it (or if it would be irresponsible to do so in the financial climate prevailing at the time). The trick now is to obtain a pay rise that reflects the companies circumstances- insisting on a big pay rise would likely result in redundancies, or, as in the case of some big US carriers, severe pay cuts a year or so down the line.

I for one am very happy that the MDs plan has resulted in my continued employment. There have been some sticky moments in the last two years. It would have been much easier to re-start the business entirely, or make swingeing cuts in pay and lots of redundancies to realise the financial targets. We (the employees) are actually extraordinarily lucky- although few would agree, I guess.

Folks in flybe mostly realise that we are in a rebuilding phase. Yes, there are many problems with salaries, T&Cs, rostering practices etc. Yes, we need to see progress in these areas. But first things first!

Now just hang on while I get my (flouresecent yellow) flak jacket on...