PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wind farms 2
Thread: Wind farms 2
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2014, 10:13
HarleyD

Location: Aus, or USA, or UK or EU, or possibly somehwere in Asia.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I regularly fly from Mojave airport, or spaceport as they call it now, and it has a wind farm nearby, within a mile or so in places. There are a few turbines in that wind farm, 12,000 I think between Mojave and Tehachape. I have never been bothered by them though the hills are almost white with them.

Booming industry renewable power in those parts. As the summer days wax and wane so does the amount of them spinning. Hot day with all those air conditioners in LA at full blast the hills are alive with spinning windmills taking the peak loads from the major power plants.

I have never been concerned about hitting them,even though some are on top of hills several real thousands of feet above the nearby desert. I thought it was the terrain and the high winds that produced all that turbulence, not the windmills. Others here have more knowledge than I about that clearly.

Wind farms, bring em on. P!ss that filthy stinking acid raining! cancer causing! asthma producing 'whitified' power station smoke off. Coal dust blowing all over the place on summer days, open cut fires that blanket a regional town for weeks on end. Get rid of it as son as possible, but it will all run out anyway. Fossil fuel that is. That is why renewable research is very important. I ant some of they lovely petrol left for my motor bike for loony to come.

Nuclear......vast amounts of relatively cheap energy.......but...... I would rather take my chances living near a wind farm..... At least they won't take out a half a state out on a bad day, and give everyone cancer for....a few thousand years.

I am it a 'greenie', or a ' Huggy Fluff' I think the term is, but I am even more so not a philistine' Brown Smoker', flat earth climate denying anti scientist either. I am not a short sighted chicken little like many on this site. I like to consider all options on merit, not just scream " Kill the tree huggers, let's use all the oil/coal/gas/shale while we have the chance" "We can always frack some CSG, there is no limit!" I have heard some butters in the US insist that God put it all there for us and it is our duty to exploit it and responsibility to prosper from it. Really.

Renewable is still being developed and improved, as have coal powered steam turbines been developed from triple expansion reciprocating steam plants of a hundred or more years ago. We have coal stations over 50 years old in Victoria that are some of the highest polluting power generation plants in the world. They are filthy and need to go.

Maybe I am a big green around the edges, or maybe in the middle, hidden deep. At least I am not a rapacious vandal.

Yr Right, I see your profile says you are lame, is this an intellectual disability, or you are just a bit gimpy in one leg.

HD