PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scottish Defence Force?
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2014, 20:22
TomJoad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Courtney Mil
Courtny, despite being a Yes voter, I agree entirely with the substance of the Telegraph article. The SNP's defence plans are simply not realistics. The trouble they have is that they have absolutely no informed experience whatsoever to call on. However, setting aside the relationship between defence and defence related jobs, I just don't see that defence would ever be a voting issue. It simply does not figure highly on the electorates' concerns. Now we can argue that it should but that is the reality of things. Ok so let's imagine the defence needs of Scotland was a staff college exercise - I m sure it has been! There would inevitably be a number of models, put forward by reasonably informed people, that would stand scrutiny. In an ideal world, the SNP would have been allowed to consult with the expert communities, including MoD, before hand. But that would of course never be allowed to happen. I am sure we will see something more realistic and sustainable emerge during the settlement negotiations. It will be in rUKs interest to make sure Scotland is at least capable of mounting a meaningful defence of its boundaries. I certainly can't see a sqn of Typhoons figuring in that line up; the rUK would not be so wilfully negligent (even if they could afford to lose the ac) to allow Scotland to try to field that.

Tom