PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 9
Thread: MANCHESTER - 9
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2014, 18:56
Skipness One Echo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 1977 closure to new entrants at LHR was rescinded in 1991-92 ish, LHR was full and closed to new traffic for 14 years which is partly why LGW used to have a major long haul operation from CX, NZ, KE, AA, DL, CO etc etc. Point being MAN only grew in local terms as a gateway to the North and Scotland at the expense of GLA/EDI/PIK having nonsensical traffic distribution rules. MAN made gains at regional expense, not national in those years. Partly as a result of overly restrictive bilaterals, AA and SQ had to move mountains to serve MAN.
London has a massively distorting effect but it does rather rake in the taxes and the workers, not sure what's to be done there. Regionalism might make a comeback if, as I hope, Scotland sobers up before the walk of shame......

(Scottish and about to become a foreigner in my own country......)

Bagso LHR has been constrained for years with market forces forcing out regional connectivity in favour of international p2p, 5 x EK A380 to DXB is worth more than 5 x SH6 to GCI. You should look up what constrained means btw. Also, I did not suggest banning anyone, I make the point that perhaps Qatar is not a beacon of liberty, human rights and sexual equality. Hence they're never going to be up there with my favourite businesses.

Btw, what part of the business world employs you Bagso since you're now keen to tell me how business works? Is it social media as per your recent focus perhaps?

Last edited by Skipness One Echo; 10th Sep 2014 at 19:52.