PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SAR 2013 privatisation: the new thread
Old 10th Sep 2014, 14:30
minigundiplomat

Received 185 Likes on 69 Posts
Sevarg,

I've been in the commercial sector for 3 years now, but I have managed to pack a lot in and I pick things up pretty quick. During that time I have seen several projects (mil & civ) which have taken on former Wg Cdr level consultants and the rear crew issue has been shoved in at the last minute with whatever was left in the budget and when they have finished printing glossy brochures of aircraft and simulator buildings.

The commercial reality is that if you manage to recruit and retain sufficient rearcrew, however unfair the above may be, it is not an issue.

Likewise, you may have views on what the exmil rear crews expectations should be, based on your own extensive experience - all good, no argument.

However - there are a limited number of trained rear crew in the commercial sector, and many are choosing alternative careers. Some will keep flying and if paramedic trained and SAR experienced (an even smaller number) then they represent a very small audience for UK SAR.

There are also a number of countries around the world who value ex-mil UK rear crew (RAF or RN/RM) highly and will pay a commensurate rate. This reduces your pool even further.

So, I would point out the simple principle of supply and demand - if you're awash with suitably trained SAR rear crew then a left over budget is fine... but if the phone isn't ringing then you may have underestimated some of the above.

Good luck to you wherever work may take you mon ami.