PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 9
Thread: MANCHESTER - 9
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2014, 19:55
MANFOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shed, taken in isolation within the MAN operation, your figures on Ryanair do show that MAN has fared remarkably well since the relaunch of the airline's base here. Over 200 weekly departures in s2015 is significant and welcome.

However, I think some of us are looking at what happens with Ryanair and Easyjet next year in the context of what is almost certainly happening with MON with less destinations and frequencies and, in all probability, at least 2 less based a/c. The information posted by Viscount 702 on Jet2 is also a concern in that while this second version of their schedule is probably no worse overall in the number of weekly departures than the first release, the latter certainly meant a decrease on this summer. It is still possible that more flights will be introduced but as things stand, two of MAN's main customers may be doing less business than this summer.

Put in this context, I would be hoping that Ryanair and Easyjet might expand, not just to compensate for the reduction in the two airlines mentioned, but sufficiently to help MAN grow overall. Of course, there's TOM and TCX and while we know the latter is doing some new things, I'm not clear how their total schedules compare with this year. Then there's long haul with legacy carriers where the position is not finalised, but CX to HK and DL to JFK will be a boost but with question marks over Egyptair and US to Charlotte. (and if Skip is to be believed, AA to JFK).

It's still early days. A lot can happen before the final situation for summer is known and there may be other things in the pipeline that if they come to pass will enable MAN to continue its growth of the last 2 years. And it could be argued that the quality and mix of MAN's portfolio of destinations and airlines is just as important as passenger numbers; speaking of which, it would be nice to see some August figures.