PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia: Training, Licence Conversion, Job Prospects
Old 16th May 2003, 07:21
Ascend Charlie

Received 237 Likes on 110 Posts
I agree with John Bicker (how is the boat?)- the huge majority of jobs in Oz are in AS350 or smaller, Day VFR with the occasional Night VMC task. You need no more than your commercial licence and a night rating and a turbine endorsement to be prepared for almost anything.

When I interview new pilots, seeing a list of high qualifications with low hours means one thing - this person is ambitious and will jump ship at the first opportunity. BUT! This is to be expected. A charter operator must expect pilots to progress through the system. They learn new skills with the operator, use them for some time to become fully familiar with them, get put onto newer and bigger tasks, and eventually they are doing everything in that operator's bag of tricks.

This takes (from our normal pilot turnover) about 2 years. Then the ambitious move on. If the pilot is not ambitious, I wonder why, and have a closer look at his motivations for staying. We certainly don't push pilots out, and if one chooses to stay for 3 or 4 years we are very happy. But it tees me off when somebody is "promoted" with an aircraft endorsement and immediately pushes off.

Anybody with IREX and ATPL who only has <1000 hours will have lots of time on their hands waiting for the heavy twin IFR job, so why don't you sign up as the new HAA president???