PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scottish Defence Force?
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2014, 19:58
APO Dried Plum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this actually happening...?

As a serving pilot in HM Forces I have been increasingly troubled by what I see going on back home (Fife BTW).

The local train station's name now has a Gaelic alternative (as does everywhere in Scotland) - to foster a sense of difference with rUK or too bring in tourist cash? Who the hell knows but given that the majority of Scots never spoke Gaelic and that more people speak Polish in modern Scotland it does seem rather incongruous.

I was also struck by the ubiquity of the Yes campaign - a local shop converted as HQ, posters everywhere - questions answered...

But what worried me most of all was what seemed like the number of seemingly intelligent people lapping it up. Just reading the local papers or watching the regional TV it is clearly obvious that the SNP's tactic is to trumpet every good-news story as a victory for the Scottish Government and every negative one proof of Westminster's skulduggery. The independence campaign is broad based - because everyone one has been told that their dreams will become reality by the demagogue Salmond. Once the Yes campaign triumphs and the stark reality of the lie is apparent it won't matter - it will be too late.

I should have seen this coming - the local cinema let anyone wearing a German football shirt in for free the night I watched 'Braveheart' (England were playing Germany that night IIRC). At the end the mob wanted to kill the nearest Englishman and later it was seen that 'historical' likenesses of William Wallace resembled Mel Gibson at the nearby Wallace Monument gift shop.

So, like everyone Serving in my generation I have done my fair share in the desert and been shot at on occasion. At no time did I realise the actual threat to the country was from within. The SNP bully boys scream 'Tory!' at any one deploying a rational, logical argument as to the pitfalls of secession with all the venom of a witch hunt. It won't be long till they're wheeling out the wickermen and burning us naysayers alive.

I've gone beyond angry. Now I'm merely pissed off. I've posted my vote and will let democracy do its thing...

But if you are thinking of voting Yes please see through the smoke and mirrors. Nothing in life is free Alec. Lower taxes, more benefits, never ending oil to fund it all. At the end of the day it is just a load of bo!!ocks.