PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 Emergency Landing at East Midlands
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2014, 19:01
rottenray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid Pax...

On literally every flight I've enjoyed for the last ~ 15 years, the safety briefing is largely ignored. You see people surreptitiously listening to their MP3 players, reading something, or talking non-stop to the person next to them - all while the poor FA is trying to give them information that will save their lives if something happens.

There is also some degree of mindless "civil disobedience" amongst modern-day passengers. During taxi, out of 150 people, you will probably see at least 1 idiot who just has to grab something out of the overhead, or just has to use the lav.

So, it never surprises me when I read about panicked pax opening doors, etc. when some minor emergency occurs.

They can't listen when the heat is off, what makes anyone think they'll listen when things are very serious?

Out of a couple hundred flights, I've only been unlucky enough to not get a window seat a handful of times.

At this point, in case of an emergency requiring evac, I have resigned myself to simply staying put in my seat until the rest of the idiots are done breaking legs, grabbing carry-on, taking snaps and selfies, and tweeting about the incident...

...unless I see great great billows of smoke or the cabin floor starts to get very hot - then, look out. Of course, I'll still listen to the FA(s) and I'll help anyone I can along the way, but if you're in my way at that point and just goofing off, you'll just have to stand aside a moment.

I just wish everyone had the great respect for flight deck and cabin crew that I do. I've been very lucky in that I've never had to be part of an evac and I hope that never changes.

But really... You don't second-guess a plumber when your commode is running over, so why do these people just ignore the trained folks whose job it is to keep us safe?

Cheers!