PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 Emergency Landing at East Midlands
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2014, 15:38
rog747

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
at BMA at LHR many many years ago (707 and DC-9's)

if the a/c was still on stand and was boarded or boarding then the main exit to use in an emergency was the jetty attached to the a/c plus the rear stairs if a set was in place on the 707 (and the ventral air-stairs on the DC-9 32)

Normally no slides were to be popped as no doors would be armed at all at this stage. (the DC-9's also had the tail cone slide)

if the a/c was closed up for departure (doors armed) all ground equipment should be clear of all main exits unless skipper knew a hold was still open for late bags, in which case the ground engineer would be on a headset pre-pushback

Aircraft arrival on stand and an emergency evacuation situation occurs (we never had one) - if no jetty or stairs already in place then the doors/slides would all be popped - If the jetty was already on then the main exit to use was that.
That's what we were trained for AFAICR

I don't understand about the EMA Jet2 733 - the press and on here mentions ''emergency landing''
did crew declare or know of an emergency before landing due to the cabin smoke or did all this happen after landing and/or on shut-down on stand?
all the press reports are rather hysterical and I cannot fathom the chain of events.
If the emergency/smoke was known prior to landing then an immediate Evac onto the runway surely is desirable if cabin smoke not clearing or is worsening?

If the Jet2 emergency/smoke occurred right there and then on shut-down on stand and pax getting ready to disembark then i can see the potential for pax having cabin bags already in their hands and ground equipment moving in to service the a/c.
this all complicates things to a higher level in an Evac and will become confused and perhaps difficult to control.

If that was the unfortunate scenario then also all comms might be difficult with everybody inside and outside just at that moment if power was interrupted (see Aless85 comments about PA/intercom on 737 Classic SBY/BATT power) and ground engineer/ground crew was not seeing what the flight or cabin crew was intending

anyone put me right here appreciated thanks - edit just seen BOAC's comment above mine

the photos indicate all slides deployed except maybe Door1L or were the steps put on after the EVAC?
the flaps are shown down and both o/w hatches opened and that Door 1R slide has not deployed correctly - reason unknown.

Last edited by rog747; 7th Sep 2014 at 16:16. Reason: agree with BOAC