PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To Go or Not to Go
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2003, 04:00
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just an Engineer:

Thank you very much for your contribution. It was quite illuminating (no pun intended) to hear your side of the problem. In my company a lightning strike is an automatic tech log entry and a mandatory occurence report has to be raised. I also take your point about being struck on the way down is bad luck but on the way up (if it can be avoided) is careless.

In the case in point I can see several scenarios. (For the reasons of simplicity I will take flooded runways, microbursts, hail damage and turbulence out of the equation).

You take a lightning strike immediately after take-off whilst headed for a distant destination with, let us say, 300 passengers. You discover that everything still seems to be working so you press on to your destination. On arrival it is discovered that a new radome is needed and 20-odd rivets, etc, etc need to be replaced. The inbound passengers, apart from the state of their underpants and their mental health are glad to get off but the returning 300 passengers are less than happy to discover that the aircraft is going to be tech for some considerable time. The company is less than thrilled with the situation because, apart from anything else, they don't have hotac for the 300 outbound passengers and don't want to pay for it anyway.

Alternatively, you take off and take a lightning strike and then decide to return to have the aircraft checked. This will involve dumping lots and lots of expensive fuel and now 300 + another 300 passengers are going to be pi**ed off.

My alternative is to sit on your a**e for 20 minutes and avoid all of the angst and inevitable paperwork. The few people on this thread who cannot seem to accept the obvious would also appear to have no regard for the passengers who pay their wages and even object to them having access to pprune.

How sad.