PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do I really need an ADF endorsement?
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2014, 08:49
Bankstown Boy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Firmly believe that for the renewal you should fly at least one approach manually and one using the auto-pilot.

In real life, when I'm shooting approaches single pilot into dark holes or with clouds around the minima, I always use the autopilot to fly the aeroplane whilst I manage (command) the process and procedures - but its a real comfort to know that when the autopilot fails (and they always do - just when you really, really want them - I spent a year with my autopilot only failing when we entered cloud - apparently a g switch issue), I am just as happy to fly it myself.

Like everyone else here, it seems, the only time I do NDB approaches are in the annual renewal but there is something truly beautiful about flying an engine-out NDB approach in howling westerlies at Wollongong - and nailing the thing!

One thing the NDB approach teaches you (in my opinion) is situational awareness, that you just don't get with a moving map, or stable VOR omni.

A few years ago, whilst taxiing out at Maroochydore, the knob on my only TSO GPS broke, and I was unable to input the flight plan. The whole flight was flown IFR with VOR and ADFs, including the NDB approach in to BK.

It was just as easy as following the magenta line but somehow more satisfying.

As an aside, this was the only time ever that I was offered direct present position to Richmond, at about 4,000' on climb - with no GPS, there was no way to meet tracking requirements, so I needed to thread my way past the VORs & NDBs - Like back when I were a lad!