PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 8
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 8
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2014, 15:41
EK77WNCL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry but up here you'd be hard pushed to find anyone who classed "bloody" as a swear word. If ever you need to walk through Newcastle, bring ear plugs.

I was simply making the point that quarter of a million people quite happily flew to Stansted from Newcastle on a yearly basis both when Go operated it and when Easyjet operated it. As has been mentioned, pulling LGW has little to do with Newcastle itself, except that there is SOMEWHERE else where they can earn a couple of extra quid per passenger. Any selection of the 4 airlines could have made LGW work, and each of them have various, non-NCL related reason why they pulled:

British Airways - Care too much about Heathrow, can't be bothered with domestic from Gatwick... They pulled Manchester!
Flybe - Forced to leave by increasing costs for small aircraft at LGW + flights were quite expensive at times, closing off to the lower end of the market.
Jet 2 - Did it with a leased RJ100... Wrong from the offset, 12-13 weekly 733, has a chance I think, if they had low enough fares and a correct schedule, often a sticking point with LS.
Easyjet - Schedule was quite good, don't understand the lack of flights on the weekend, EZY can be temperamental on occasion, they found somewhere with more money, pulled out.

The route could come back, maybe NAX could try, with a good schedule and their things like wifi, could attract businessmen IF they advertise, which is another reason quite a lot of routes don't exist.