PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parachute jump from hell
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2014, 15:50
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a USPA D-licensed skydiver (non-current) who, at one time in the stone age, was also a USPA rated static line jumpmaster and now, much more recently, the holder of a U.S. private rotorcraft certificate.

With that disclaimer out of the way, FWIW (given my relatively low level of experience as a pilot) I don't think I'd be comfortable with putting static line jumpers out of most helicopters. Could it be done, yes, but I wouldn't be comfortable as either a jumper, jumpmaster or pilot. Certainly you'd want to short line it some and the skids would forever be an issue. It would certainly go better on ships with retractable gear or tailgates.

Freefall, on the other hand, is great. Yes, we've all seen the video that was posted some time ago showing the cock-up with the rig open in the cabin and getting loose. However that and other similar jump related risks are not unique to helicopters. More than one fixed wing aircraft has been destroyed and people lost because of such things. So indict the entire activity if you will, but don't indict it solely on the basis of it being associated with helicopters. I happen to think that skydiving, and helicopters, and balloons, and pretty much every other means of aerial conveyance, go together like peas and carrots But maybe that's because I was a skydiver first

In a strange coincidence, here is this month's Parachutist magazine cover: