PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Day Britain Stopped - TV Programme
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2003, 19:29
Yellow Snow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cpt Windsock
Last week there was a go around when the subject aircraft RT failed on short final. Any pilot wondering what the ***k is going on could easlly miss the turning point on the go around procedure by a mile. And on 09L that would make the difference. Don't kid yourselves otherwise.
I hope he did go-around if he didn't have a landing clearance (unlike some european operators - Iberia/Air France). The point being is that the whole reason departures are kept on frequency and do not autochange to radar is so that the proactive controller can do something to achieve separation. It is something we train for.

The scenario in the show is pre 1997. After this procedures were changed and lessons learnt.

Lardy,
to answer you concerns. I as a controller do not bow to commercial concerns (another part of the show that was incorrect), I am not paid a bonus on reduced delays, my and all my colleagues primary concern is safety, everything else takes a back seat.
The programme gave the impression that the ATCO had been sitting there all day doing the same job, incorrect. She would've been on a watch and rotated around positions, if this watch had been short staffed flow control would then've been imposed to limit the workload to a safe one.
If as a controller we are going to be late for work for whatever reason we phone in, being the proactive people we are so contigency measures can be implemented like closing airspace etc.

Once again I cannot argue that a collision won't occur in the airspace above London because system is bursting at the seams at time of the day, however the BBC programme was poorly researched and ill informed.