PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Throw in the towel?
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2014, 02:52
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pat,

Your instructor is there to do: Keep you safe, Teach and promote learning, and Inspire and mentor. If you're feeling put down, element three is totally lost, and element two is probably threatened. NOt everyone is grat all the time, and we all make allowances, but on average, you should feel inspired and positive about the experience.

You should never hear: What the **** did you do that for?!?", but do expect to hear: "Well, that could have worked out better, let me show you how." But for every one "that coulda worked out better, you should hope to hear several "Well done"s.

I just finished an hour of marine training with two firefighters. I told them both: "If you're unhappy with the train I just gave, tell me. If you're happy, tell the Training Captain" (who is actually my daughter). Would your instructor encourage you to discuss your satisfaction with the training? If not, why not?

Be the bigger person, and talk to your instructor. If you do not leave that conversation in agreement, yup, it's probably time for a new instructor, if that's a choice for you. Remind yourself that some instructors are very new too, probably with very little personality training - not that that's an excuse....