PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Throw in the towel?
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2014, 00:32
Level Attitude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's just simple things like basic mathematical sums in my head i have difficulty with
Not sure what mathematical sums a 10 hour student should be doing anyway?
when I start the lesson with the instructor he watches my every move
This is good (it is his job after all)
I feel very under pressure when I'm with him almost as if he's waiting for me to mess up
But this is not good - a difference in expectations perhaps?

With Checks / Checklists there are:
1) Learning the sequence of any checks/required actions
2) Learning what you are actually checking/actioning
3) Learning how to interpret the results of any check/confirm any actions

1) and 2) all require repetition to learn and take time and practice.
3) requires some understanding of how an aeroplane works/flies.

Most students learning to fly start with zero understanding of how an aeroplane works. Which means they rely totally on a 'Check List' to 'tell' them what to do and are effectively just learning 1) - with 2) and 3) coming later.

The sequences are in a particular order (usually) for a very good reason and I would expect an Instructor to be quite pedantic about this (the sequence) to help the student learn it and to prevent bad habits developing.
However lots of praise for getting items correct is called for - not just concentrating on the negatives.

People learn better from making their own mistakes, but this is not always safe in flying.
EG: Mixture to Rich omitted prior to engine start - Great
Carb. Heat not confirmed Set to Cold just before Take Off - Not Good.

Personally, I think every new student should be told to learn Aircraft General Knowledge and Theory of Flight right from the start of the course - even if these are not the exams they will sit first.

patryan,
You should ask your Instructor for a ground lesson on 'Checks' as the better you understand what you are looking for, and why, the less likely you will be to make any mistakes.
even the most smallest things like where to put the checklist when finished with it
Ask your Instructor WHY you have to put it in a particular place - there may be a very good reason - and this would help you remember to do it.
EG: If just before Take Off the Check List must not be where it could get in the way (of controls), nor where it could be a distraction (on the 'Dashboard' where it could fall off)

Caveat: As other Posters have said, it could just be that your Instructor is a Numpty whose style does not mesh with your personality - find out by speaking to him about it.