PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To Go or Not to Go
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2003, 15:29
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
At the risk of wandering slightly off-topic, I had a recent conversation with an engineering friend on the subject of lightning strikes and he told me something that I never knew before.

Apparently if any rivets behind the initial strike location (as often as not, the radome) are also struck then they have to be drilled out and replaced. These "secondary" sites are sometimes quite hard to spot and might just appear as paint discolouration. This can be quite time-consuming and might be rather difficult to achieve at some destinations.

Burger King:

You have a perfectly valid point but I don't entirely buy it. I don't think it is absolutely necessary to actually be in the cockpit in order to start a discussion. Nobody on pprune at the moment was on board AMR587 but they have so far managed 15 pages of comment on the subject.

How many of you who make comments about Ryanair speeding on the ground have actually taxied a 737?

I have more than 40 years of professional flying experience (so far) and I thought it was reasonable to "express surprise" and hopefully start a useful discussion.

Last edited by JW411; 15th May 2003 at 16:38.