PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Truss: Aviation Safety Regulation Review
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2014, 03:06
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaker: "Ring the bells..division required!"

Kharon - Much is written on the perils of doing deals, or dancing with devil. I notice each story, every time, ends in tears. With settlement money rapidly diminishing, perhaps some of the wiser heads in AHIA could have a quiet word before the inevitable happens. If that seems cryptic – I suggest a little independent research; it's not a happy story, but then real life rarely is.
Hmm...strange dichotomy??? From Phelan article - Flawed safety laws must be stalled, says Helicopter Association - we had this from the President to the miniscule...

Dear Minister,

Urgent Request to Defer CASR Part 61

The initiative for the Aviation Safety Regulation Review was applauded by the Aviation Industry. The release of the report was welcomed by the Industry and by-in-large accepted as read. The industry was asked for comment which has been provided. Since the deadline for comment, the silence has been deafening.

I personally have been in the Aviation Industry, as a pilot, company co-owner, manager, sales representative for 51 years. Never in this time have I seen such turmoil and mistrust in the Regulator.

As President of the Australian Helicopter Industry Association, I am very concerned with the difficulties our CASR Part 61 Regulatory Review Team, and others, are having with understanding the mooted changes to this Regulation. The introduction of a completely new licensing system together with new training syllabuses, with no perceived safety benefits, but additional cost, in the current “Two Tier” format is not understood.

Legislation needs to be in the “Three Tier” format, in plain English and not in the Criminal Code format which is understood by Judges but not Aviators.

As this third tier has not yet been introduced we, the Australian Helicopter Industry, respectfully request the introduction of CASR Part 61 be further delayed to allow time for Industry to negotiate the proposed changes further with CASA. Why introduce a Regulation which will require concessions to operate until the Regulation is in the proper format, should it not be fixed prior to introduction on 1 September 2014?

Regards

Peter Crook, President, Australian Helicopter Industry Association

Perhaps the AHIA would do well to read Creamy's overview of the FF RRP and in particular Part 61 (post #8):
"Why is it us Aussies detest change so much?"

Can't talk for other transport modes, but in aviation it's not change as such. In aviation it's generally the 'collateral damage' arising from:

- non-existent, poor or counter-productive pre-commencement industry education
- unintended consequences that consume resources for no safety or other benefits
- multiple, complex exemptions, rendering an already complicated set of rules even more complicated and meaningless on their face
- more rules that require approvals, permits, certificates, authorisations, endorsements and ratings that depend on CASA "acceptance" or "satisfaction", increasing the scope for zealots on a crusade to implement their view of aviation utopia (for a fee and after a delay, of course)
- inconsistent interpretations by different people
- dozens of offences added to the already-bloated and ever-growing body of criminal law,

... none of which does much to alter behaviour or safety outcomes.
Top summary Creamy...