PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crossing ATZ above 2000ft - need to call in?
Old 1st Sep 2014, 20:30
GCRSR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me this thread highlights a serious issue... There are a multitude of different opinions about the "correct" way to overfly aerodromes and transit key routes in some of the busiest GA corridors (PINCHPOINTS such as Wycombe, Stapleford, Blackbush) around London.

Would it not make sense to agree some VFR routes that kept eastbound and westbound or northbound and southbound traffic separated with agreed heights and radio frequencies?

I for one find it incredibly frustrating that there is so much regulation in the name of safety which focussed on the small issues and yet big picture stuff does not get addressed.

Given that it is almost essential to navigate with GPS around the London area to stay legal it should not be overly complex to create some routes with standard waypoints that would minimise head-on risks.

In the last year I have found myself taking avoiding action from opposite direction traffic at the same altitude when routing north around Wodley and South near Stokenchurch and on both occasions whilst receiving basic service from Farnborough West.

Creation of traffic lanes like the ship traffic separation in the channel between Dover and Calais would surely help.

Last edited by GCRSR; 1st Sep 2014 at 20:32. Reason: Mistyping