PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To Go or Not to Go
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2003, 07:04
av8boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple of things...

First, dgutte, as to the LGA departures being stopped and
Occasionally the runway would open and someone would depart, I guess as ATC saw fit.
-- as per FAAO 7110.65 (ATC Handbook--really not a PRIMARY source in this case, but hey, it was handy...): "Legally, only the airport management/military operations office can close a runway." Further:
3-3-2. CLOSED/UNSAFE RUNWAY INFORMATION

If an aircraft requests to takeoff, land, or touch-and-go on a closed or unsafe runway, inform the pilot the runway is closed or unsafe, and

a. If the pilot persists in his/her request, quote him/her the appropriate parts of the NOTAM applying to the runway and inform him/her that a clearance cannot be issued.

b. Then, if the pilot insists and in your opinion the intended operation would not adversely affect other traffic, inform him/her that the operation will be at his/her own risk.

The other thing I wanted to mention had to do with lining up to take a look at the weather. From my jaded ATC point of view... excellent idea. However, don't forget to communicate in addition to aviate.

There I was on a stormy afternoon, working departure control at a major (top 5) US airport (I'm trying to avoid names here). There's a big old cell camping about 3 miles off the departure end of the runway. I'm monitoring the tower freq as well, while I'm working departures. I hear the heavy jet talking to the tower.

Aviator: "Tower, ThoughtfulAir 22 heavy, ah, we'd like to line up here on the numbers for just a minute or so to let the radar take a look at that cell off the departure end if that'd be ok."
Tower: "ThoughtfulAir 22 heavy, approved. Taxi into position and hold. Let me know when you're ready to go."
Aviator: "Thanks. Be just a minute."

60 seconds later...

Aviator: "Tower, ThoughtfulAir 22 heavy is ready to roll."
Tower: "ThoughtfulAir 22 heavy, cleared for takeoff."
Aviator: "ThoughtfulAir 22 heavy is rolling."

30 seconds later...

Tower: "ThoughtfulAir 22 heavy, contact departure. Good day."
Aviator: "ThoughtfulAir 22 heavy, good day."

Now in my headset...

Aviator: "BigAirport Departure, ThoughtfulAir 22 heavy is with you out of eight hundred for five thousand and we need a 60 degree turn to the right for wx avoidance right now."
Me (quietly to myself): eeek!

Here's the deal (and I use that word advisably): anything more than say, a 25 degree turn would take this aircraft through the following, in this order:

-Departures from a parallel runway at the same airport (being worked by another controller)
-Arrivals to the same airport (being worked by still another controller)
-Departures from a second airport
-The airspace just off the departure end of a third airport, and
-Into rapidly rising terrain.

Let's just say that me and the captain, we worked something out. He avoided the weather, the traffic, the other airports and the terrain, and I avoided ending my career.

--Flash forward-- So, I'm sitting in the jump seat of a DC10 a few weeks later flying coast to coast in the US (different carrier). The FO and myself are chatting, and I think we're both learning something. Anyway, I tell this story. When I finish, the captain speaks up: "Well, what would you have had that captain do? Fly through the weather? I don't think you understand what a thunderstorm can do to an aircraft..."

See, this was a turning point for me. I've spent an entire career trying to bridge this pilot/controller gap whenever possible, and here I've apparently come off as either an ass or a fool in the midst of some impromptu continuing education. Clearly I was sending the wrong message...

As I explained to the captain (well enough to keep things friendly for the remaining three hours of the flight anyway), I am perfectly happy to bust my butt to make these kinds of things work. That's my job and I truly enjoy providing service. However, the airplane in question sat in position for more than a minute painting that cell. If the chaps in the pointy end of the aircraft developed a plan based upon what they'd seen, I would have sincerely appreciated it if they'd shared it with the local controller (tower) before they started to roll. You know, "Tower, it looks like we'll be needing a substantial crank to the right after departure to steer clear of the weather. Would you be kind enough to pass that on to departures?" Really. That's all it would have taken to save me the ulcer. I can still see that scope in my mind, with the airplane turning right to avoid the blob of weather but heading right for other airplanes, airports, and freaking houses. I remember thinking at the time "rock and a hard place."

Long story for a pretty succinct suggestion: share your plan. That's all I'm asking.

You know, it just occurred to me that this happened pretty close to 20 years ago. I might have to send PPrune a check to cover the psychoanalysis... I feel a little better!

Dave ;-)