PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Day Britain Stopped - TV Programme
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2003, 03:19
bookworm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yellow Stone

Bookworm the missed approach of 09L would turn passing 1500' or passing 0 DME. therefore turning inside the departure.
It's 1500 ft or 0 DME whichever is later. The turn by 0 DME is by no means guaranteed.

If the was no proactive controller input (as there wasn't in the show) then I and my colleagues are not doing our jobs. The remark about altitude restrictions refer to proactive controller input, that's my job. Any normal occurrance during a shift in the tower needs proactive controller input, that's one of the reasons we're there.
That's a fair comment. But ATC procedures tend to be designed with a failsafe if there is no such intervention. Just as we trim our aeroplanes so they fly hands off, much of ATC procedure is designed in such a way that lack of action (or more importantly, lack of communication) doesn't lead to a hazardous situation. That's the whole rationale behind clearances. Without the need for a failsafe, we'd just have instructions. Of course you can't have an entire ATC system that requires no proactive controller input, in the same way that you can't fly an entire flight in an aeroplane without proactive pilot input. But we still trim, and procedures are still designed to be, for the most part, self-deconflicting. It's a question of stability.

Requiring such input, particularly where it has to be made on such an urgent timescale at such a busy time, does not make a procedure inherently unsafe, but it does make it more vulnerable than others to human fallibility, system failures and sheer bad luck. Some of each of those is typically involved in any aviation accident.