PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2014, 16:05
Gordomac

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Nothing much changed then, in half a century of, so called, selection. In 1964, I applied for a Hamble cadetship, I was still at school and was called for "pre-assessment". BOAC/BEA copied the RAF format for Cranwell. You were permitted to go through the selection on the basis that if successful, entry would be dependent on obtaining the necessary educational qualifications. I was a secondary modern (11+ failure), Roman Catholic school, only just doing "0" levels. Off I went to Hamble with me Rail Warrant (yeah p2 fly................they paid for you to get there, accommodate you , feed you & make you feel ever so wanted). I failed part one of a three part selection process. The very basic aptitude , general like-ability tests. The letter from dear ole A H ABBOTT suggested I try for anlternative career. I went on to fly Viscount, trident (for BA mainline ex LHR) Bac 1-11, B737,757, 767 and A340, nost of the 22000 hrs so accrued, in command. Ooooops, mind you, remember the silly essay we had to write - ? "Why I Want To Be An Airline Pilot" ! I opened with :" Well, it is the only job where you get free transport from pub to pub ". Part One Interviewer with no sense of humour didn't find that funny but he was an ex BOAC Nav !

I fought non selection for two years. I asked if one could have a second go as I succeeded in bagging a good crop of "O" levels including, in one sitting, Maths (0) and two A levels. The two A levels were gained in one year (two year course) and in which I had no "0" level background (Economics & GP Law). Nah, sorry, said AH Abbott "We do not permit second attempts, try BUA " !!

I took up the case with BEA who passed me on to BOAC who stated that second attempts WERE permitted and, indeed, many successful applicants had gained entry at the second attempt. AH Abbott reluctantly accepted my second application and invited me back to Hamble. Oh, glorious days as Thunderclapnewman were number one in the charts.

Did all of part one, asked to stay over night (obviously passed) and did that psycho test (500 questions- no time limit) and then faced nasty grilling by the Head of Selection. Yes, dear readers, of course, ex BOAC Nav . Went home expecting to be invited for part three which was 10 free flying hours in a chipmunk. BUT, failed ! Told I didn't possess, "in sufficient strength, ALL of the qualities looked for in a BOAC/BEA ...........................wait for it............CAPTAIN ! Blimey, only wanted to be a Second Officer on VC10 & go from pub to pub !

My point in all this is that BA have lurched from one selection procedure to another. From fully sponsored cadet training to p2 fly. From hold pools (what the hell is that - ? ). Looks like HR has no idea.

Oh, just learned that a mate of mine, years ago when BA were not recruiting, got into BA mainline (737), got a command within 18 months and has been a Training Capt for the last ten years ! WTF !.......................Oh, am I being silly, - ? Right place, right time, member of the favoured Lodge ? One trouser leg half way up, the other down, VERY strange hand-shake......................noooooo, noooooo, noooooo !

All going in the book....................................."Why I want to be an Airline Pilot "............................. !

Good luck to all DEP applicants. Right place, right time, Daddy already on Concorde............Oh, and if your first name really is Nigel.........Yur in !