PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Transferable skills ?
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2003, 18:39
MaxMet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 7 Airlines later...

aeroflirt

Like you after flying Short Haul, Long Haul Scheduled, Budget and Charter I decided to get out of aviation due to lack of job security. It is very unfortunate that the glory days of aviation are over they may once again return but it was time for me to move on.

Here is my list of jobs/careers for ex-Cabin Crew who may or may not have the relevant qualifications.

Hotels/Hospitality: Depends on experience and knowledge ie Silver Service, Wine Experience etc can be very low payed at start but promotion prospects can be good (need qualifications for management) can be long hours with no minimum rest.

Tourism: Tourist reps and Guides just like charter airlines seasonal.

Cruise Ships/Ferries: P&O, Stenna, DFDS, Condor Ferries, Cunard, Carnival, Princess, Hebriddean, First Choice etc.

Customer Service/Call Centres: Usually dull and low payed jobs.

Sales: Not just in shops but for various companies ie Car Manufacturers good salary and percs.

Rail Industry: This is where I transfered my skills to. Sure it is not as glamarous as flying bit it does offer job security promotion prospects and a better dependable wage eg, Heathrow Express pax service assistant £19,791 starting salary Chiltern Railways Train Host £18500. London Underground Station Assistant £19000 Basic plus free travel in London . I think that is better than £9800 basic + £2 flight pay great in summer rubbish in winter if you have a job (applies to charter only)

I am sure that there are many more opportunities out there plus there is no harm in going back to college or Uni and retraining either full time or part time.

worktrain.gov.uk

Good luck I am sure that you find something suitable.

MM..