PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - National Identity Cards
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2014, 14:06
Wrathmonk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We'll have to agree to disagree on the counter-terrorism uses for an National ID card.

But having to carry one would also help the fight against credit card fraud (I had to show my driving licence when making a purchase in the States recently as the chip and pin reader was bust - here, get the PIN wrong (or play dumb and say you've forgotten it) and they'll just ask you to sign the slip. Forging most peoples credit card signatures is not difficult, particularly those whose signatures are little more than scribble....(not that I've tried of course)).

It would also go a long way to preventing welfare fraud (people signing on at numerous different job centres under different aliases). Thumb print technology (already used on the i Phone (and the free lockers at Universal Studio, Florida!)) would prevent, in a single stroke, individuals being able to make multiple claims. Don't like the policy - don't claim the benefit.

I also recall, back in the day (!), that when the 1250 became the Mod F90 the black magnetic strip on the back was going to be used for all sorts of things (including, IIRC, mess charges, bar charges, meal charges) with ambitious plans for it to be used as a 'virtual cash card'. Allowances would be paid onto 'the card' and you would then swipe the card at a suitable terminal and transfer the money to your bank or arrange for it to be paid in cash. I guess this aspect got overtaken by the great success that was JPA.

THS

and any system is fallible
I take it, therefore, that you do not bank or shop online or use ATMs - after all, these non-government 'systems' have all been proven to be 'fallible' rather than expected to be 'fallible'.