PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 9
Thread: MANCHESTER - 9
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2014, 11:35
MANFOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skip, thanks for that information and link. I was wondering when the MAN contract for air traffic services was due for renewal after the recent news from LGW and BHX. Those that listen to ATC will continue to hear some familiar voices.

LAX, I would be surprised if Bagso doesn't air his views to those more directly involved. Irrespective of the media aspect, there is a valid point about train services to the airport. Work on the 4th heavy rail platform at the station is advancing at a fair pace now and my understanding was that its purpose was to provide a more efficient operation of trains and to enable more services to the airport. While some of the extra trains would hopefully be to the south, I thought it would also lead to additional services to Piccadilly and beyond, given the work on the so called 'Hub' and the Ordsall curve (edit: should be 'Ordsall Chord') designed to give a better flow through Piccadilly. It seems strange therefore that at a time when improved connectivity to MAN is forecast, direct train services to Hull and the Lake District may be cut. Yes, passengers can change trains, but it's not much fun if you've lots of luggage and it can be a hassle for the elderly or disabled, plus the worry (as with airports) of missing connections especially if tickets are only valid for a specified train.

My own observations are that most trains (not always the local ones) are now well used to the airport and I suppose the changes arguably might lead to more trains to say Leeds or Preston, even if Hull (edit: should be Cleethorpes), Windermere and Barrow lose their direct services.

Anyway LAX, have you any good rumours? We seem to be starved of positive stories just at the moment? Maybe September and the end of the holidays will bring about a change.

Last edited by MANFOD; 26th Aug 2014 at 16:14.