PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Strange Question: Test Pilots' Career Paths?
Old 25th Aug 2014, 12:17
LOMCEVAK

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
When the Tornado OEU (TOEU) was first formed in the early '80's a Tornado tp from 'A' Sqn was posted in deliberately as a tp. When he was tourex they decided to replace him with a non-tp. However, then boss (RB) shortly after realised the advantages of integrating a tp into an OEU and I was asked by him if I would like to move across. I said yes but the politics between A&AEE and CTTO at the time were such that it never happened. However, the working relationship on Tornado between 'A' Sqn/Fixed Wing Test Squadron and the TOEU (later SAOEU) was always excellent and very productive. Unfortunately, our relationship with the F3 OEU was never as productive, probably because it was not co-located and perhaps due to personalities.

Although it was some years before the Jaguar was integrated into the SAOEU there was always an excellent working relationship between FWTS and CTTO on the Jag. The highlight of this was the integration of TIALD for Bosnia (Op Deny Flight). The development sorties were flown in a modified T2 and for about 95% of the sorties there was a tp in one cockpit and a front line QWI/Staneval/CTTO pilot in the other. Agreement was reached in the debrief on the way ahead, and it was the most fascinating and satisfying project on which I have ever worked, resulting in a system that worked well, came in on time and under cost!