PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Strange Question: Test Pilots' Career Paths?
Old 22nd Aug 2014, 18:35
alf5071h

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please forgive a reminiscence:
I would expect current policy to follow the mood of personal management amongst other things.
My mid 1970s experience, as a weapons instructor, was during a period of change. Previously pre-qualifications for ETPS were frowned on, no IWI / QFI, because it was additional expenditure. Then with increasing focus on systems evaluation and testing, frontline qualifications were sought (three IWIs). Furthermore there were ‘career’ arguments with the new CTTO concept or trial elements in front-line squadrons which required experienced system-tps.

My selection was ‘muddled’ by an in-fight between command plans for future weapons instruction (and unknown to me, promotion), vs ETPS who had earmarked me for a next-generation systems project in a year’s time. ETTPS won, and my volunteering was rewarded by a life-expanding overseas tour.

Then the system fouled up, the project was late; –1yr in 1yr; no job at Boscombe so go to Bedford;– Ah Aero Flight, fast jet research, etc. No; so a fast jet IWI becomes a civil research Flt Cmdr (but with the bonus of a personal Sea Vixen – ex Admiral’s Barge).
RAE research provided an exceptional opportunity for tp development; there were many projects, civil money, a demand for free thought, and was sufficiently remote from the RAF that after a double tour the next move for another 20 yrs civilian testing was a no-brainer. During civilian times some of the most valuable experiences were in guesting as a line Capt or even as a Trainer, which without appropriate background the latter far more hazardous than testing!

Moral of the story: never base plans on the expectations of the military – policy changes in proportion to the poster’s tour length. If you volunteer, argue for the best option and make the most of it. Arm yourself with options, both civil and military qualifications which could be attractive to several career paths, and take a long term view, not excluding any possibility.
Don’t expect any plan to work – rules of war, plans do not survive contact with the enemy.
Enjoy every opportunity for test flying, learning, and thinking, particularly about oneself.

To answer the question – would a tp be posted to a front line squadron I hope so, but I doubt that it happens very often.

Flap, I would not agree with your views.
One misconception in aviation is that the more senior or more experienced pilots have the requisite abilities to test and assess systems – when asking an airline to send a range of pilots to evaluate a new display, including the below average – only the Chief pilot turns up.
Flying and systems testing is more about understanding yourself and ability to see other points of view. Pilots need to be able to understand the reasons behind occurrences and to communicate across the full design and operational spectrum (USNTS is a staff college for the Pentagon via operational command). Also, most important, not believing that you know better than others, which is often be found in squadron ‘expertise’.