PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dodgy Manoeuvre.....
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2003, 22:56
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Highwinger,

You hadn't landed "for a while" since getting your PPL - how long is "a while"?

I usually fly every week or every two weeks, sometimes longer if I'm busy with other things, or the weather's crap, or the aircraft is busy or unserviceable. I reckon about 50% of my landings are reasonable, 40% are bad, and 10% are absolutely appaling. Every now and then I manage a really really good one - can't remember the last time I did one of them, must have been before Christmas.

On the other hand, when I was hour-building I flew at least once, often more, nearly every day for two months. By the end of that, I'd say over 90% of my landings were reasonable, and over half of them were very good.

Apparently, the more experience you have, the less often you have to fly to keep the skill-level up. But if that's true then I haven't got enough experience for it to apply to me yet! So, as a new PPL, if you've had a bit of a break, it would be perfectly normal to do a less-than-perfect landing - don't worry about it. Especially in a new type.

But, as long as they're safe, it doesn't really matter if they bounce around a bit. And from the "lessons learned" that you listed, it sounds like you're pretty safe to me Just try to get some regular flying done, and it'll all start coming together!

FFF
---------------