PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Week long flying trip in SW US and renter's insurance.
Old 19th Aug 2014, 14:58
czeslawsender

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Victorian:

Thanks for the tips! This address thing is confusing, indeed.
I'm wondering should I rather use the FBOs address, or some friends in US? Could that cause them any trouble?

I know about the 1-800-WX-BRIEF, I also planned to use ForeFlight and the ability to file the flight plan from within the App. Right now I'm waiting for the SAFE membership to be recognised by ForeFlight to get the discount on the FF Pro (I suppose it is worth to go for Pro, for the terrain and flight hazards?).

I had some experience in flying in South Africa, so I've seen what high PA does to the performance - really disturbing for the first time, when 22' is max what you get on MP, and it takes ages and hundreds of meters to get to rotation speed on almost empty C182.

I've seen on the web there is a bus shuttle going from GC Village to Tusayan, but NPS site has info that it runs only until Sep 5th.
And given your advice about the taxis, and the fact that land-based sightseeing Grand Canyon with a 4 year old might be challenging anyways, so I'm considering an option when we overfly it, land on KGCN to have some rest, and then head directly to Flagstaff.

And for the cars at the FBOs and the insurance - do I need an extra coverage here as well? Gee...

@alland2012:

My understanding of the risks of not having the renter's insurance is that even if FBOs policy covers the damage, the insurer of the FBOs later goes after you to get their money back. But that would mean that I would need basically the same coverage as the FBO, which would be rather insane.
Anyways, I've asked FBO. Thanks for the hint!

@Cusco:

Thanks for the help. Good that you are ok!