PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Big Problems with my Computer
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2014, 10:36
Tosh McCaber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Problems with my Computer

I hope that someone can read through this epic, and give some advice.

A couple of years ago, I purchased a custom built computer from my local computer dealer, who has successfully built several previous PCs built over the years for me. The computer is a fairly high spec, utilising a 250 Mb SSD as the main C drive, and two internal 1Tb drives. Windows 7 Home Premium x64, 8Gb RAM, with two other external data drives for back-up.

Part 1
Unfortunately, a couple of months ago, for no reason, the computer failed to start one morning. It got as far as trying to open Windows, then it reverted to the black DOS screen with the various "Start Normally/ Repair" options, after which I was able to start it. This happened for several days. Then, after using the "Start Normally" option one morning, the SSD gave up the ghost, with a message in a blue screen under the heading Dual BIOS- "Main BIOS is corrupted. System will recovery from back-up BIOS ". Unfortunately, this proved not to be the case- my computer guru/ dealer examined the computer, and declared the SSD Dead on Arrival. (This was subsequently confirmed by a Data Recovery firm.)

Part 2
New SSD inserted, Windows and programmes reinstalled, everything checked and working, received computer back home. Hooked everything back up, and fired it up. Except it didn't. It got as far as starting up Windows, then shut down.

Took it back to the repair shop. We found that the BIOS apparently was starting in the wrong mode (for whatever reason). Checked it out thoroughly, everything working.

Got home, and hooked it back up, along with the external hard drives. Same thing- BIOS starting in the wrong mode! Unhooked all of the external USB devices, including card readers. Started up, went into the BIOS, and switched it back to the correct mode. All working fine again. Haven't re-connected external USB devices again- so far.

Part 3
About a week later, we went away for the weekend. I switched the computer off before leaving. On returning, and switching back on, the fan/drives started up for a few seconds (not even as long as bringing up the initial screen), then switched off again. Then, a few seconds later- exactly the same thing. This happened a couple of times before I switched off at the wall. I switched on the mains, and tried to start up again. Same thing. Finally, at the third attempt Windows opened.

Part 4
It is now a week later. Once again, I switched the computer off before going away for the weekend. On returning, and switching back on, the fan/drives started up for a few seconds again not bringing up the initial screen, then switched off again. Then, a few seconds later- the same thing. This happened three times before I switched off at the wall. I switched on the mains, and tried to start up again. This time it got as far as starting Windows, then it switched off. On opening up again, it reverted to the black DOS screen with the various start/ repair options. After starting normally option, it got again to almost starting Windows, before reverting to it reverted to the black DOS screen. This time, I did not touch it, and, lo and behold, a few seconds later, of its own accord, Windows finally started up, and is still going.

I am scared to close it down again, in case it doesn't start up! And I haven't as yet reconnected the external back-up hard drives.

I've just been looking at the Computer Management section, and found the following:

From 08 July to 05 August, I had the following 10 Events:
Event ID 11- The driver detected an error on Device/ Hard Disk 2, 3, 4, or 5/ DR3; or sometimes, DR85 or 87

As well,
Event ID15- 6 Events, all at the same time - 12.23pm all the same message:
The device Device\Hard Disk 2\ DR2 is not ready for access yet.

Then, for yesterday, presumably when the computer was shutting itself on and off:
Critical Event ID41- Kernel-Power

As well,
6 other Error Events in the last few days: ID10, 1000, 4321, 7000, 7011, and 7026

Also,
Quite a few Warning Events over the past few weeks: ID1001, 1004, 1014, and 7003

Hope that you haven't gone to sleep reading my saga! I'm not sure whether the initial hard drive failure was perhaps caused as a consequence of what's been happening since.

Has anyone any thoughts/ theories as to what's going on?