PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR & Part 61
Thread: IFR & Part 61
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2014, 06:20
training wheels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Oktas8
Training wheels:

They're good questions. Google "CASA part 61" revealed a number of results, including FAQs, a sample license, a Part 61 summary booklet and of course the text of the rule itself.
Thanks for that. I've had a quick look at the MOS and in particular the MECIR renewal requirements under schedule 6, Proficiency Requirements.

Appendix 1 Instrument proficiency check – aeroplane category
1. Proficiency check requirements

1.1 An applicant for an instrument proficiency check for the aeroplane category must demonstrate his or her competency, in the units of competency mentioned in clause 3, by doing the following:

(a) conducting at least 3 instrument approach operations including at least one 2D operation and one approach using GNSS;

(b) performing instrument approach operations, within the flight tolerances specified in table 5 of Schedule 8 of this MOS;

(c) performing manoeuvres in an aeroplane, within the flight tolerances specified in table 2 of Schedule 8 of this MOS.
So all that's required to renew your MECIR is to conduct three approaches, one of which needs to be an RNAV GNSS. The other two can be anything else I guess, but if you want to keep your 3D instrument approach current, then I guess that means you need to do an ILS. The last one can then either be a VOR, NDB, or whatever else. Which means, good riddance to NDB approaches. The only time I've done an NDB approach is for an MECIR renewal.