PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would you do?
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2003, 03:31
bookworm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really don't know what the prang statistics are like in your country, but in this part of the world (ie not necessarily this particular country), there seems to be a pretty equal spread between CFIT due to "scud running" and deathly spiral dive due to spatial disorientation when trying to fly on instruments.
Similar in the UK, but with a bias towards CFIT over loss of control in IMC. The last CAA review of fatal accidents lists CFIT as the no. 1 killer (34 of 166) with loss of control in IMC at no. 4 (13 of 166). Of course that doesn't answer the question of the safer course of action in such a dilemma, as it may be that fewer pilots are dumb enough to try flying in IMC when they shouldn't be.

Much depends on your competence in IMC, which is the key to escaping from option a in one piece. Option b is not so dependent on your skills -- aeroplanes lose against hills and pylons every single time, regardless of pilot skill.

Finally, Captain Stable's comment on writing your own accident report reminds me of similar good advice, which was passed to me with the following extra tip. Any time you find yourself writing the words "The pilot, nevertheless,..." in your accident report, it's time to reconsider the plan.