PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Week long flying trip in SW US and renter's insurance.
Old 15th Aug 2014, 16:44
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't foresee any troubles with either insurance or your routing, but I do foresee some problem with renting the twin. Many flying clubs demand more multi hours before they allow people to rent it. But maybe you've already taken care of this. KWVI is one of the few airports that have the little Tecnam P2006T for rent - is that the twin you're going for? As long as you can get the twin lined up, you'll love flying here. It's great, really easy and friendly.

Couple of things:

Going into KLAS without an IR rating can be done, but they're pretty busy there and depending on workload might give you the dreaded "stay outside of Bravo airspace" and then you can't get in VFR. In that case, Henderson (KHND) is just a few miles to the south and a really nice airport. The cab ride in to town is only a couple of tenners.

Your routing L06 to KSBP takes you right through the Owens Valley. The Owens Valley is a notoriously turbulent and hot area and you can get into trouble on those leesides at the back of the Sierra Nevada's real quick. I came through there not long ago and Mojave reported 60kts winds on the ground. 60kts! Also, density altitude is a real problem during the days in the high desert. So just watch out and do the calcs for any of the desert airports if you depart during the afternoon. They climb like sh*t.

Practical stuff:

It's pattern, not circuit. They don't know what QNE, QNH or QFE is. They join on the 45 on the downwind. Basic service is called Flight Following and they'll give you a squawk that will last until your destination (unlike many places in Europe). They don't have quadrantal rule, east is odd, west is even +500ft. VFR squawk is 1200, not 7000. You can fly through MOA's, but expect to be target practiced and have some close calls with F18's. Don't bust B airspace without clearance and don't bust R-areas. Watch out for TFR's. They pop up all the time, very short notice.

Last edited by AdamFrisch; 15th Aug 2014 at 17:02.