PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Week long flying trip in SW US and renter's insurance.
Old 15th Aug 2014, 12:59
czeslawsender

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Week long flying trip in SW US and renter's insurance.

Hi,

I'm planning some 5-6 days trip in US at September this year.
The plan includes renting a light twin, and flying VFR with my wife and daughter from Watsonville, south along the coast and then through KLAS to KGCN, over the Grand Canyon and through the Death Valley back to Bay Area.
I assume legs not longer than 2-2.5h (for the comfort of my passengers) and with something to do during the day (I plan for the flying in the morning / late afternoon to avoid heat and/or turbulence).

The initial plan for the 5 days was:

1. KWVI-L52
2. L52-KDAG-KLAS
3. KLAS-KGCN-KFLG
4. KFLG-KHII-L06
5. L06-KSBP-KWVI

The first question is - do you have any remarks/tips/warnings for the route that I've imagined or for the plan at all?

The second set of questions - I assume I would need some kind of renter's insurance for the trip. Do you have any experience on what is the most sensible option? I've seen some Avemco tables on the web, and noticed that what they offer is the full year insurance with broad ranges of rates depending on the coverage amount - is there any chance anyone would like to insure the shorter period? What reasonable protection should I go for?

I have around 500h+ total time, 25h twin time, instructor and instrument ratings on my EASA CPL(A) licence, and will get my FAA PPL(A) attached licence on the arrival in the US. That will be my first time flying in US.

Thanks in advance for all the help!