PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft fire at Stansted
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2002, 14:22
Jet II

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iomapaseo

[quote] Unfotunately things can be driven beyond the crews control if passengers start deplaning while engines are still running and you have to avoid using the starter in case a passenger gets in front of one of the engines.

<hr></blockquote>

I wouldn't worry about sucking the SLF into the engine whilst motoring over on the starter, the CFM wouldn't even be able to suck in your expenses.

Augustus Finknottle . . . . [quote] Put a bunch of semi-illiterate Irish Gypsies (with accountancy "degrees" from the University of Guatemala) together with "pilots" and "engineers" from "The Seychelles Academy of Aeronautics" and you are asking for trouble. <hr></blockquote>

I find this remark quite offensive (I am not Irish and I don't work for Ryanair).

There is a serious point about the standard of maintenance of these low cost airlines, not because of the competance of the Engineers but due to how the maintenance contracts have been agreed. Ryanairs maintenance was done, until recently, by FLS - as I understand it the contract was written to favour Ryanair and FLS actually made a loss on it. If the maintenance organisation is not making any money the standard of engineering support is bound to fall.

I know FLS freely went into this contract and therefore it is their own fault, but that is no consolation to the people at 30,000ft if something goes wrong.