PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monarch - 3
Thread: Monarch - 3
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2014, 18:39
111KAB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately I feel that Monarch as a privately owned company will always fail to compete with the stock listed Easy and Ryan. These PLC's can put out, for example, a profit warning and their shareholders acknowledge it and hold onto their shares whereas Monarch look for finance and suddenly they are in financial 'problems'. As mentioned Monarch were way ahead of Easy and Ryan but the owner(s) was so keen (possibly unlike Stalios) to hang onto what he had built up that sizeable expansion plans, which probably needed flotation, were out of the question - this is reflected in the fact that in the 'earlier' days aircraft ownership was the norm whereas leasing is now the way to go.

So faced with the possible 'acquisition' of 30 Boeings questions were raised as to the ability of a privately owned Company to fund this acquisition either by way of leasing or indeed the impossible outright purchase. Unfortunately times have passed them by (in terms of competing) but there is still time if they re-position themselves rather than taking on Easy and Ryan. Luggage costs/in flight meals/book in charges/service/hand baggage size + their Cosmos relationship are just a few ways they can distance themselves.

Just some of my thoughts - you have shot the messenger before so have a direct shot at me now!

Last edited by 111KAB; 11th Aug 2014 at 18:41. Reason: Problem with spelling!