PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Macarthur 'Mac' Job
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2014, 11:29
Mish A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mac Job, one of life's gentlemen

I first met Mac in 2010. 12 months before I started flight training. As it was Mac’s style he was more interested in what I was doing. He didn’t mention anything about being involved in aviation. I must admit at the time I didn’t know anything about Mac’s status in the Australian Aviation Industry. It was only a heads up from a mutual friend and a bit of research led me to realising what his contribution was. I felt a bit silly especially as I’d brought a couple of Mac’s books 14 years before I’d even met Mac.

Whilst waiting to begin flight training Mac invited me to a couple of Aviation Historical Society of Australia meetings in Hawthorn East. I remember one night coming back so late that I got into a bit of trouble at home. My wife didn’t comprehend that I’d be out until after 1 am, being driven around Melbourne by an 86 yr old!

It was a privilege to spend time with Mac and his lovely wife Esma. Those 2 were a treasure. I can still remember after talking aviation with Mac that Esma would sigh and say, “Aviation is a disease that they never get over.” I recall fondly Mac’s special way that he was able to utilise the English language, a true master of the spoken and written word.

I last saw Mac in the middle of 2012 before we went back inter-state. It was sad leaving. I do know that Mac had a strong faith and he was content in knowing where he was going after he departed this life.

I considered Mac a mentor, not so much in my aviation training but in the important stuff like how to relate to the people around you and how to get the most out of life. We caught up a couple of times on the phone since we left. I remember one of the last times a while ago now where he told me that he’d just come back from the gym!

Sadly I’m unable to attend Mac’s funeral tomorrow at St Matthews. I expect that it can only be a celebration of a life well lived.

Farewell Mac, you were a friend, mentor and a true gentleman. We will miss you and I will try to ensure that what you taught me will be carried out and passed onto the next generation.

Onwards and upwards
Mish A