PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Owner Operating Costs?
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2014, 09:48
robin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ridiculous over regulation of certified types is the thing that largely creates the 'cost divide' between planes in different EU/UK regulatory categories. The debate between 'C of A' and 'Permit' types is artificial and divisive, inflicted on people by ineffective and self serving government without benefit to anybody in the real world. That is the source of the costs and unfortunate debate, not the planes themselves, or their economics.
Couldn't put it better

I've owned Permit types and currently flying CoA types.

Yes there is a cost differential, sometimes a big one. But that is factored into my decision to stay with my current steeds.

I do find the statements from proponents of the LAA route a bit one-sided.

If you want to build one of the new breed of Permit aircraft and, like Rod1, are able and willing to do it, and base yourself on a farm strip where hangarage costs pence, then fine.

Only some of the Permit fleet will be able to fly Night or IFR - certainly not all, and you can bet it will not be the lower-end.

The most important thing is not whether the type is Permit or not. It's whether it is right for you and the only way you can tell that is to fly lots of different aircraft before committing to a purchase

The OP made a reasonable request. He's into hours building and, I guess, that is his focus.

My suggestion is not to buy. Get a share in an IFR-equipped C172 or PA28 and all options are covered. Buying outright just bleeds money, whether it is on CofA or Permit.