PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Owner Operating Costs?
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2014, 16:35
Capt Kremmen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Silvaire1

With respect, you've misunderstood the debate. It isn't a question of 'Yah boo' mine's bigger than yours or, words to that effect, it is about COST.

Those of us who fly Permit have all, for the most part, also flown certified a/c. Because we've paid the bills, we all understand and appreciate the quite staggering cost divide.

I'm familiar with the cost of flying in certified a/c be it a group share or club hire. I know that many who go this route struggle to fly sufficient hours as to maintain a satisfactory and SAFE degree of currency.

And that really is the nub of the argument. I do not claim that my present a/c will outperform the club Archer I used to hire or the T67 Slingsby group a/c of former acquaintance. What it will do, which is of major importance, is keep my a/c handling skills sharp and on the ball because I fly more cheaply and therefore more often.

I'm quietly amazed and at a loss to explain why it is that more pilot/owners don't go down the Permit route. One explanation could be that many haven't heard of Permit a/c and, when they do, assume it is some esoteric and arcane aspect of GA that requires special aptitudes.

Pirke

If you PM your postal address, I'll mail you a couple of back copies of the LAA magazine. The back pages feature classified ads which will add to your information.