PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Owner Operating Costs?
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2014, 14:48
Silvaire1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My very pretty (to my eye) lawnmower come hairdryer, cruises at 80kts, fuel burn (mogas) up to 15liters per hour, will take off and land on what seems like half a postage stamp, carries 45lb of luggage, stowed with ease, stores 90 liters of fuel - enough for 6 hours to empty, has a crosswind limit of 24kts, has no discernible stall and is stressed to +6 -4.
Other than the "no discernible stall" part, which is perhaps what creates the slightly lower cruise speed, that's a good description of a 1946 Luscombe 8A with wing tanks, designed over 75 years ago and a certified aircraft.

The current distinctions between aircraft regulatory categories are just that... In reality they are all aircraft, designed to do different things and with different priorities, often with good reason. The real issue is the ridiculous regulatory and tax framework for European/UK aircraft that creates paranoia, divides and thereby conquers. I think the energy spent bickering like teenagers over the merits of their favorite pop groups would be better spent confronting the real problem.