PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Owner Operating Costs?
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2014, 12:32
Steevo25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cannot understand why there is an argument between owning a permit or CofA aircraft. As far as I see it, they do indentical things. I fly a Cessna 152 CofA and own a Jabiru. I can do identical things in both. The Jabiru is a bit more weight limited than the Cessna but for my purposes there is nothing I cannot do in the Jabiru that I can do in the Cessna.

The Cessna carries me at around 85-90kts and the Jabiru carries me between 90-95kts. My aircraft has been from the UK to Spain and back and has carried a passenger and luggage flying 3 hours without being overweight. The Cessna uses about 24litres of avgas per hour and the Jabiru 13litres of mogas per hour. The Cessna costs me around £112 per hour to rent and the Jabiru costs me around £55 per hour to own and fly. I have no wish to fly IMC or at Night so for me it is purely down to costs.

Without a doubt, a permit aircraft has a significant cost reduction over a CofA aircraft but if your mission is just to go from A to B (no matter what the distance) then there is really no difference between the two other than cost.

Obviously, if you want to have 4 or more seats then your choice of permit is very limited and , at the moment, if you need to fly IMC or at Night then permit is ruled out.

But I really don't see an argument other than that. There are many very capable permit aircrafts out there that, in a lot of cases, can out perform their CofA counterparts.