PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Minimum Wage
Thread: Minimum Wage
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2003, 10:29
grrowler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bb,
1. Yes I do think the award is too low, considering the outlay, risk, etc, and it should be looked at. I accept there isn't much money in the industry, but that aside, and compared to other industries, surely you must agree.

2. Has anyone bothered looking at the list of respondents to the award recently? I haven't for about a year, I'll admit, but it was about a handful. So saying it is legally enforceable is yep, true but means 2/5 of nothing.

3. I'm sorry if you got the impression that I only work below the award. I have worked below, on and above the award (none were actual respondents). What I did say was that my bosses in all those jobs (bar one) told anyone who wanted to listen that pilots were worthless and expendable.

4. Let's keep it real - when I looked to do my training, I, like a lot of others I presume, had no idea about the state of the industry. I had glossy brochures jammed in my face, highlighting world wide pilot shortages, etc. Why would I even consider that the instructors weren't getting paid properly? I looked for the best quality/ cost ratio. And I reiterate that if I did pay more, the instructor would not see it because of the queue of unemployed instructors waiting at the bosses door.

CFI, So if companies are running at cost or below, what difference is it going to make if the wages are uniform across the board? Won't that help level the playing field for the operators?

I guess I need to clarify that I don't have a problem with operators trying to maximise profits - thats the whole point of business. We are after all the silly gooses who accept the conditions.

Why? Well put yourself in the boots of someone who has been unemployed (flying) for a long time, who loves flying, wants to make a long term career out of it, and sees the security(?) of an airline job at the end of it. I get toey if I don't fly for 2 weeks! After 6 months I would be prepared to do a lot to get my hands on an aircraft! It's an addiction and is a part of the industry that won't change.

So, if 10 jobs were going between 100 equally desperate applicants, and say 2 paid the award, would you honestly only apply for those 2?

Now lets try to look for some answers rather than bemoan the lack of money, for either operators or pilots.

I propose an (properly) enforceable award for pilots. This would provide greater job security, increase industry safety levels by reducing the pressure on pilots to "get the job done at all costs or get out" and encouraging more experienced pilots to stay in GA, and give operators a more level playing field from which to set their rates.

cheers
grrowler