PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - indian and arab passengers !!
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2003, 04:39
aeroflirt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prejudice

Prejudice menas to prejudge. This is part of the human condition and part of our make-up designed to protect us back in prehistoric times. We needed to identify certainl tribal characteristics in order to remember that such and such a person or persons from such and such a tribe had caused us or another from our own tribe harm , discomfort etc on our last encounter with them. Every human instinctively prejudges every other human based on certain stereotypes we hold about them. For example , I was mugged by a teenage youth wearing a hooded top and baggy blue jeans. Now , whenever I see someone who matches this description , I become tense , expecting to be mugged again. Of course I do not get mugged by every person I meet who matches this description but I am programmed to expect it to be a possibility after my experience.
The difference is that I am no longer living in prehistoric times. Mankind has evolved to think beyond our instinct . I may well become tense when I see a hooded youth but my intellect tells me that I must overcome my instinct to get away from "the danger" and to treat him as an individual and not expect the worst from him just becasue he looks , acts or speaks in a certain manner which I associate with negativity.
Those who do not have the intellect to judge each person on their own actions and way of being have not evolved and are still lurking in the dark ages. To lump whole groups of people together because they share certain characteristics is unsophisticated behaviour and caveman mentality.
Also never forget that each human being is the same. If you put an Arab baby into an American home and bring him up with no Arab influence , his culture i.e. way of thinking , behaving speaking , dressing , etc. will ALL be American. Therefore , to say that all Arabs are such and such is absurd. We all share the same humanity and have the same capabilities . Respecting and understanding other cultures and celebrating diversity is the only way we can all share this planet in peace.