PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 6
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2014, 17:11
fa2fi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Onxycrowle: I'm sure you've just copied and pasted a post you made a few months back with equally bizarre suggestions.

Iceland: covered from Scotland and Manchester.

Faroes: I think last time you were suggesting Stornoway. Too niche. Too little tourism. Ask your average Teessider where the Faroes are, and they will most likely point to Egypt. Atlantic serve STN (London market) and not too frequently either I think the chances of MME are slim to none.

Stavanger: served off and on for as long as can remember from NCL. If someone wants to fly from MME they can connect in ABZ.

LCY: won't work. Too much competition from the upto half hourly London rail service. It's a costly place to operate into. Yes, people could connect onwards, but AMS has connections.

You have to ask yourself (of any destination) if it isn't covered by other nearby airports that have larger catchment areas and much bigger population centres then why would anyone do it from MME?

My feeling is that until it closes MME has all it needs. It has the oil run up to Aberdeen, and has connections to most of the world via AMS. The bucket and spade market are well covered by NCL and LBA. It has all that it needs. It's not going to change save for the odd random small charter flight.

I have very fond memories of the place and want it to succeed but I, like everyone else, need to be realistic.