PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Moth down in Toowoomba
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2014, 11:38
CHAIRMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My old RAAF Pilot's Notes Publication No. 416 February 1944 for Tiger Moth Aircraft says nothing about maximum crosswind component.
They say nothing because in those days fields were 'all over', so x/wind was never an issue.
Old aero club operating handbooks, and old instructors state 7-8 knots max x/wind.
Crosswind check on next BFR??
Who's going to do it? Not too many instructors proficient on Tigers these days.
Anyway, this incident had a good outcome, thankfully no injuries I believe.
Taxying/ground handling in Tigers, particularly those not fitted with brakes/tailwheel, is very demanding even for the very experienced - especially with the bitumen and narrow grassed areas in most aerodromes we operate from. Those that know me, know that I speak from experience
I suppose the Tiger Moth that crashed also had its leading edge slots removed to save maintenance money. If so, that's a great pity.
I am sure that the owner would not have removed the slats to save money. Money would have been no object in this restoration. Slats were an option not used on many UK Tigers. The RAAF decided to fit them on Aussie manufactured aircraft and pay the required royalty to Handley Page (a few quid I think) for each aircraft built. There is a small benefit as you say, but likely not enough to make any difference to the outcome. A stall warning device in the absence of any other.
I'm sure the pilot has gained some valuable experience with his unfortunate mishap, and hope he repairs the aircraft and gets back in the air as soon as possible.................don't look back