PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Minimum Wage
Thread: Minimum Wage
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2003, 23:14
bitter balance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grrowler, your posts indicate that the GA award is not sufficient. Certainly your reply to SuPeRcHaRgEd indicates that. I am not arguing for below GA award rates, I think the award should be the min.

It is my understanding that if a company is not a respondent to the award and pays above the "safety net" wage, then there is nothing technically wrong with this. The award is legally enforceable, if your employer is a respondent.

From your posts you have (at least 4 times) agreed to be employed at below the GA award rate. I assume the companies were not respondents as you have not sought redress. I also assume you agreed to the terms of your employment. Why is the operator's problem? Aren't you part of the problem?

As to my comments on market forces - when you did your initial training how did you determine which training school you attended? I am sure price was one of the determining factors. Would you have paid $10K more for your training for salaried "happy" instructors? I assume you will answer "no" as the greedy flying school owner would have just pocketed it on his/her way to the BRW Top 10 Rich list.