PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would you do?
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2003, 02:38
MAXX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ve been flying commercially now for 15 years and along the way i have learned some very valuable lessons,some from experience first hand and some from others.
The biggest lessons learned are always make sure you are qualified and current to conduct the flight you are about to undertake.
Not long after i qualified for my cpl iwas offerred some work flying for an engineering company.the owner of the business explained they had a three week tripaway coming up where i would be required to fly his engineers in their company cessna 210.the owner also told me at this point if i did a good job he would hire me full time.on the day the trip was scheduled to depart ,you guessed it the wx was bloody terrible,and me with no instrument rating.to cut a very long story short we departed and i spent the next 2 hours ducking and weaving around storm cells and heavy rain,and eventually forced back to our departure airport.on returning to land i was greeted by a fairly aggressive engineering boss who told me id let him down,a number of other pilots who ridiculed me for returning.however the cfi of my flying school just walked over looked me straight in the eyes and said "son you made the right choice,youre back ,your pax are back the a/c is in one peice,dont let anyone tell you different"

if in any doubt as to the conditions wx wise or others make sure you are fully prepared or dont go flying.

Ozexpat mentions the saying "better to be on the ground wishing you were up there....................."
there is another saying."there are old pilots and there are bold pilots,but there are no old bold pilots"

gsixty you mention you have about 10 hrs if flying in 80,in answer to your question option a is suicidal,your best and only option would be to find a field,airport or otherwise to put the a/c down asap.

You can discuss whether you were right or wrong with the appropriate authorities from the comfort and safety of an arm chair on the ground

Please don't post all in caps - makes it very hard to read.

Last edited by Captain Stable; 10th May 2003 at 20:20.