PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would you do?
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2003, 02:13
redsnail

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
G'day G-SXTY,
Good questions and I believe Ozepat has given you some very sound advice.
Don't for a second believe that you can fly in IMC with 10 hours "training". I can't remember the exact details of the report but I think it was done in the 60's by the FAA about non Instrument rated pilots flying into IMC. This was a controlled study and fortunately no one was hurt!! The results are startling and very sobering. I think they used 20 pilots all with a variety of hours and experience. None had an Instrument rating and I believe one or two had a Night rating (ie Night VFR). All ended up spiralling in. The time varied from 20 seconds to just over 3 minutes. (The 3 minute chap had the Night VFR rating).
Now you may feel, "hey 3 minutes is enough to get me on top" but is it? You don't know that.
My advice, keep out of the cloud.
The real lesson is not what you'd do once you got yourself in the situation but how to avoid it in the first place.
When I was flogging around in the bush in often fairly ordinary weather, I would keep a minimum of 2 "outs".
Any way, it's a good question and worth discusssing on the ground in the relative comfort of the lounge room.