PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career advice for daughter - UK aircraft tech wannabe
Old 28th Jul 2014, 23:16
tonkaplonka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Lizziesdad. I'll try my best to give you some advice. She will need to be taken on as an apprentice. First though, she will need qualifications. Probably the minimum will be A levels in Maths and Physics. Most of our apprentices arrive with HND's or higher in aeronautical engineering. This is just to get through the door. With a 1000 plus applicants for 8 places, our company has a lot to sift through. Quite a few of our recent recruits have degrees.
Our company put apprentices through an A licence then after they have finished they are encouraged to go for their full B licence. In this job, you cannot escape the academia side of things. The study never really ceases. When you do get your licence, you still need to study for type courses, continuation training etc. 50% is doing the job and 50% is the paperwork.
My own career route involved 12 years in the RAF. I self studied all the EASA Part 66 modules while still serving then left and started with a well known north sea helicopter company and I haven't looked back since. Going the military route will still involve getting qualifications but if I remember correctly, it was only to GCSE Level and getting a good score in the aptitude test. The training from the military is second to none in my experience.
I hope this helps and good luck on her chosen career path. It's a long slog but definitely worth it.